[svlug] ATI Mobility Radeon

Tim tim at tetro.net
Thu Jul 11 20:14:34 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 09:35:58PM -0500, Richard J. Mancusi wrote:
> Does anyone have first hand (as in "I am using it") experience
> with the ATI Mobility Radeon.

I am using it.

You'll need XFree86 version 4.2.0 and the ati.2 modules for XFree86
4.2.0 from the GATOS project (http://gatos.sf.net/).  It works
flawlessly for me at 1024x768 (the max for my XGA display), however
there seems to be a scaling problem with Xv images at the lower
resolutions.  That reminds me, I need to report that bug.

If you have TV-out, you can switch between TV and LCD using the atitvout
utility available here:

  http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/atitvout/

You just have to make sure that it is plugged into the TV when your
laptop boots up.  The command that works on my laptop is:

atitvout -f t

To switch from LCD to TV, and:

atitvout -f l

To switch from TV to LCD.  Theres also CRT mode, but I don't have a
spare monitor to hook up to it.  There is a set of programs called
i8kutils which work with some Dell Inspiron laptops, including mine, so
I wrote a little tvout-toggle script which I setup i8kbuttons to run
whenever Fn+End is pressed.  Here it is if you're interested:

#!/bin/sh
ATITVOUT=/usr/local/sbin/atitvout
ACTIVEMODE=`$ATITVOUT -f active 2>/dev/null | awk 'NR==1 {print $1}'`
if [ "$ACTIVEMODE" ]; then
  if [ "$ACTIVEMODE" == "LCD" ]; then
    $ATITVOUT -f t > /dev/null 2>&1
  elif [ "$ACTIVEMODE" == "TV" ]; then