[svlug] 'Kernal Panic:No Init Found. Try passing Init=Option to Kernal'

Tim tim at tetro.net
Thu Jul 11 15:37:57 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:19:41PM -0400, Kanagala Rao wrote:
> I tried to reboot the Linux but failed with the same reason as before.
> The messages are
> Kjournald starting, commit interval 5sec
> Ext3-fs: mounted file system with ordered data module.
> Pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot/sysroot/initrd)failed:2
> freeing unused kernal memory: 280k freed
> kernal panic: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernal

At this point I think it's safe to assume that your Linux partition was
hosed beyond repair.  If you have files on there that you want to save,
you could boot off the Install CD, mount the Linux partition and Windows
partition and see if you can copy over those files.  Oh crap, I forgot.
Your Windows partition is NTFS.  You can only mount an NTFS partition as
read-only, as far as I know.  Use floppies, then, I guess.

Next time you format that partition, you'll want to check for Bad
Blocks.  The RedHat install process should give you that option.   If
not, then if you do it manually, use the -c option to mke2fs.  You might
also want to try Memtest86 (www.memtest86.com), just in case bad memory
was the source of the corruption.

  - Tim