[svlug] 'Kernal Panic:No Init Found. Try passing Init=Option to Kernal'

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Thu Jul 11 12:02:06 PDT 2002

That's a bug, please report it to tytso at mit.edu

> Now at the prompt I typed
> e2fsck /dev/hda5

Ok, so you seem to have several problems.
Your best bet is to do e2fsck -fy /dev/hda5 and pray :-)

> and the response is
> Superblock has a bad ext3 journal(inode8)
> clear(Y)?yes
> xxx ext3 journal has been deleted -filesystem is now ext2 only xxx
> superblock does not have has_journal flag, but has ext3 journal inode
> clear(Y)?yes
> /was not clearly mounted, check forced
> pass1:checking inodes,blocks,and sizes
> journal inode is not in use, but contains data. clear(Y)No
> I was not sure what to do so I typed no
> inode i566 is in use, but has dtime set. fix(Y)No
> inode i566 has imagic flag set clear(Y)No
> Similarly for number of inodes and some more questions like
> inode i569 has compression flag set on filesystem without compression
> support clear(Y) yes
> Inode i569 has illegal blocks clear(Y)yes
> inode i569 size is 365 should be 24576 fix(Y) yes
> inode i569 iblocks are 8 should be 16fix(Y) yes
> inodes that were part of a corrupted orpan linked list found.Fix(Y)?
> inode 5279 was part of the orphaned inode list Fixed.
> Too many illegal blocks in inode 6372 Clear inode(Y)?
> I gave yes for some and no for others
> Being not sure about what I am doing I came out in the middle(ctl+alt+del)
> Please advise. It would be nice if somebody in the list can walk me through
> the process.

BTW, depending on how many lines of errors, you may have had some filesystem
corruption maybe due to some hardware problem.
e2fsck will recover what it can, but you may not have a lot left after it's
done.

Marc