[svlug] 'Kernal Panic:No Init Found. Try passing Init=Option to Kernal'

Kanagala Rao raokanagala at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 11 10:04:57 PDT 2002

>From: Tim <tim at tetro.net>
>Ok, so the next step would be to use the Install CD to get to a shell
>prompt, and then do as Marc suggested
>tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda5
>e2fsck /dev/hda5
>tune2fs -O has_journal /dev/hda5

- Tim
OK I started in rescue mode(F4) and at the prompt typed
tunne2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda5
and the response is
tune2fs 1.27 (8-mar-2002)
illegal block number passed to ext2fs-unmark-bitmap#1157641472 for block
bitmap for /dev/hda5 segmentation fault
Now at the prompt I typed
e2fsck /dev/hda5
and the response is
Superblock has a bad ext3 journal(inode8)
clear(Y)?yes
xxx ext3 journal has been deleted -filesystem is now ext2 only xxx
superblock does not have has_journal flag, but has ext3 journal inode
clear(Y)?yes
/was not clearly mounted, check forced
pass1:checking inodes,blocks,and sizes
journal inode is not in use, but contains data. clear(Y)No
I was not sure what to do so I typed no
inode i566 is in use, but has dtime set. fix(Y)No
inode i566 has imagic flag set clear(Y)No
Similarly for number of inodes and some more questions like
inode i569 has compression flag set on filesystem without compression
support clear(Y) yes
Inode i569 has illegal blocks clear(Y)yes
inode i569 size is 365 should be 24576 fix(Y) yes
inode i569 iblocks are 8 should be 16fix(Y) yes
inodes that were part of a corrupted orpan linked list found.Fix(Y)?
inode 5279 was part of the orphaned inode list Fixed.
Too many illegal blocks in inode 6372 Clear inode(Y)?
I gave yes for some and no for others
Being not sure about what I am doing I came out in the middle(ctl+alt+del)
Please advise. It would be nice if somebody in the list can walk me through
the process.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Rao