[svlug] wvdial

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Thu Jul 11 09:22:06 PDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:22:18AM +0200, Chris Gippert wrote:
> --> Starting pppd at Thu Jul 11 09:46:12 2002
> That?s it, it gets no further.

It's been a while since I've used it, but yes, it stops there after it
connects and starts pppd, which one can assume then establishes the PPP
connection.  When you want to hang up, hit <ctrl>-C.

I just looked at the documentation.  From the man page:

    It will bring up the connection, and then wait patiently for you to
    drop the link by pressin CTRL-C.

Here's what the README (/usr/share/doc/wvdial/README.gz on a Debian
system) says:

    Unlike other ppp dialers you might have used, the wvdial program
    runs in the foreground and never exits until you disconnect or have
    some kind of fatal error.  You can also quit (and disconnect the
    phone, and clean up politely) by pressing CTRL-C.  I think this is
    more user-friendly, myself.  Of course if you want it to work like
    pppd you can always do it in the usual way:

        wvdial >/var/log/wvdial.log 2>&1 &

Have you *tried* using the internet connection once it starts pppd?

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary