[svlug] 'Kernal Panic:No Init Found. Try passing Init=Option to Kernal'

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Wed Jul 10 17:44:56 PDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:37:51PM -0400, Kanagala Rao wrote:
> >From: Marc MERLIN <marc_news at vasoftware.com>
> >It looks like you are mounting an initrd ramdisk image that is incomplete
> >Did you upgrade your kernel or setup a new initrd recently?
>
> Definitely No.

Actually Tim is the one on the right track, I read your logs too quickly

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 04:47:44PM -0700, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:26:37PM -0400, Kanagala Rao wrote:
> > vfs: mounted root(ext2 filesystem)
> > RedHat nash version 3.3.10 starting
> > journalled block device driver loaded
> > mounting /proc file system
> > creating root device
> > mounting root file system
> > JBD: no valid journal superblock found
> > ext3-fs: error loading journal
> > mount: error22 mounting ext3
> > pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot/sysroot/initrd)failed:2
> > freeing unused kernal memory: 280k freed
> > kernal panic: no init found.Try Passing init=option to kernal
>
> I don't know much about those messages, but it looks like its trying to
> mount an ext2 partition as ext3 and failing.

Yes.
I don't remember if there is a way  to force an ext3 capable kernel to mount
the  partition as  ext2, but  if  there isn't,  use boot  media, run
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda1 (or whatever yoru root is)
e2fsck /dev/sda1
tune2fs -O has_journal /dev/sda1

Make sure you use e2fsprogs 1.22 or better (1.26/1.27 prefered)

This should clear your ext3 journal problem and make your partition
mountable again.

Marc