[svlug] Re: cygwin ssh instead of putty

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 6 19:25:41 PDT 2002

on Fri, Jul 05, 2002, Robin Rowe (rower at MovieEditor.com) wrote:
> I'm trying cygwin as recommended, but finding it frustrating.
>
> The installer makes me type in the firewall name every time I run it.
> Can't it remember such obvious stuff?

What "firewall name" and where?  Note that Cygwin's not a full OS, it's
a compatibility API.  There's just your shell running on top of
cygwin.dll, not a full kernel + init + daemons (with some exceptions).

> It says "I have no name" in my cygwin bash shell which really annoys
> me.  There is some obscure note about needing to set up id -un to work
> right that I found somewhere on the net, plus the comment that this
> problem should be in the FAQ. Duh! I've tried setting USER in the
> Win2k system and even hard coded in /etc/profile without success.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a ls or dir command. How am I supposed to
> navigate?

You don't have a full installation.  I'd nuke c:\cygwin and start over.
I've had issues with various installations on various Legacy MS Windows
flavors.  The base install seems to be more robust than XFree86, which I
usually roll by hand following the instructions in the INSTALL file.

My experience is with MSWin98, MSWinNT, MSWin2K, and MSWinXP.

> Where's fstab? How do I set permanent mount points?

What are you mounting?  See earlier comments regarding not running a
full OS.  I tend to symlink things to /, e.g.:

   # ln -s /cygdrive/c /c
   # ln -s /cygdrive/a /a
   # ln -s '\\someshare\foo' /share-foo

Note that you have to initiate authenticated SMB connections from
Legacy MS Windows first.

> There's no man or apropos. Where are the help files?

They exist on a full install.

> Putty will ssh through SOCKS, but pscp doesn't work with firewalls.
> Now I'm going to try openssh in cygwin, but have no idea how to set
> that up to get scp out through the firewall. Suggestions?

Google:  sshd cygwin.  First link should be Erdlynet.  Do what he says.
I use his 'fixme' script, follow the advice for /etc/passwd and
/etc/group, but skip his profile and aliases files for my own
preferences.

Peace.

   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act:
     Feinstein's answer to Enron envy.
       http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html