[svlug] Re: cygwin ssh instead of putty

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Sat Jul 6 16:51:34 PDT 2002

>From: Jeremy Zawodny <Jeremy at Zawodny.com>
>On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 03:39:15AM -0700, Aaron T Porter wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:40:04PM -0700, [name deleted] wrote:
>> > I'm trying cygwin as recommended, but finding it frustrating.
>>
>> 	Not trying to fill Rick Moen's shoes... but we should care about
>> your problems running proper software on legacy systems why? It looks like
>> there are quite a few lists dedicated to quixotic ventures such as this. Not
>> surprisingly they're archived under the "Microsoft Windows" section.
>
>Legacy systems?
>
>I used to think I knew what those are, but now I'm a bit confused.
>Can you explain that choice of words?

He was just taking a jab at Windows.  Many people have been referring to
it as a legacy system lately, especially considering its lack of basic
process memory protections (invented in the 1960s) which would prevent
the spread of viruses.  No modern OS design propagates viruses.  But
referring to Windows as "legacy" has gotten much more popular since
Microsoft's latest campaign against Linux began.

Without picking on any particular individual for asking such questions
today (it has happenned before), I think many of us could understand that
Aaron was trying to set an example that a Linux User Group mail list is not
a place to ask questions about using MS Windows.  Sometimes LUGs (and SVLUG)
get targeted for these types of questions because there tend to be a lot of
knowledgeable computer hobbyists and professionals on the list.  A
more-or-less gentle reminder is often needed that the list has a topic that
subscribers came here looking for.  And that's about SVLUG, Linux and
interests/socializing among Linux users in the Silicon Valley area.

Though the SVLUG President has the final word on etiquette issues on this
list, it's safe to say MS Windows questions are way off-topic.
   http://www.svlug.org/policies/list-policy.shtml

This is not a new problem.  Ongoing user education is the only option.
As an extreme example, in the 1980's the comp.unix.questions and
comp.unix.wizards newsgroups were created where the latter was supposed
to be for discussion among knowledgeable Unix users, programmers and
sysadmins.  But in reality, it was overflowing with questions from
novices, all who believed their question would be more quickly answered
by a Unix wizard.

And that's the same kind of thinking that leads people to ask off-topic
questions to the SVLUG list.  Why bother with another forum when this is
viewed as a knowledgeable group, right?  In a way, it can be taken as a
compliment.  So we don't have to be harsh when asking them to stay on-topic.
Though I understand the temptation to be harsh after seeing this happen
so many times - been there, done that.  Hang in there - there will always
be more like that and we just have to keep asking them to stay on topic.