[svlug] Re: Re: 700+ Crons

Ira Abramov lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org
Fri Jul 5 05:38:53 PDT 2002

Quoting Erik Fears, from the post of Thu, 04 Jul:

> 565  0.0  0.2  1764  764 ?        S    Jul03   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
> 568  0.0  0.2  1760  756 ?        S    Jul03   0:00 /USR/SBIN/CRON
>
> The odd thing is that everything is in uppercase, so this isn't really
> /usr/sbin/cron running. (or it could be and it's some fluke that it's all in
> uppercase?). If I restart crond (/etc/init.d/cron restart) they disappear.

the "forest" option in ps makes it easier to see if they have
children. try ps fax.

> ps aux didn't say they were running anything, there are no logs related to

In the last post I asked specificly about ps awx, the "wide" option
shows you more about the commandline. all that info is ofcourse
available by peeking at stuff in /proc/<pid>/

> the incident and theres plenty of disk space. The only latest package I've

Another thing to try for now to avoid a fork bomb is to maybe try a
different crond, there are at least 3 in woody if I remember.

--
One day, all this will be mine...
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.