[svlug] system with read-only root filesystem

Rick Schultz bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 3 14:22:13 PDT 2002

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> If you have a 1000-node cluster, managing separate root areas for each can
> become problematical. It seems that only /etc would need to be different,

I seem to recall doing something like this ages ago.  I set up a shared
root directory and separate "private" directories for each machine.
Any machine-specific files became symlinks to a file in the private area.

Of course, I don't remember exactly how or when /private got mounted, but
I don't think it'd be that difficult to do from a script that's common
among all the nodes (i.e. a non-private file).

HTH,
rick