[svlug] 700+ Crons

Erik Fears strtok at softhome.net
Wed Jul 3 12:12:34 PDT 2002

Hello,

Today I woke up, unable to make any new connections through my firewall
(although the connections I left over night were still fine). In an attempt
to investigate I ran ps aux on the firewall box and saw over 700+ instances
of /USR/BIN/CRON, started exactly one minute apart. I tried su/sudo and even
logging in as root but neither of the 3 worked (I believe the system was too
low on resources to allow new logins, or su). After a hard reboot everything
seems to be normal again.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm running debian woody and everything is up
to date.

Thanks,
Erik Fears.