[svlug] Re: system with read-only root filesystem

Ira Abramov lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org
Wed Jul 3 08:52:54 PDT 2002

Quoting Richard Sharpe, from the post of Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 04:22:49AM +0930:

> Actually, one of the things we would like to support is a cluster of
> diskless Linux machines booting and serving all their stuff from a NAS
> using NFS or some other distributed file system protocol (not CIFS :-).

well, why not boot a ramdisk image taken off an iBoot or bootp server,
and run all the files locally? do you really want to trust the NFS
server to always be there?

> If you have a 1000-node cluster, managing separate root areas for each can
> become problematical. It seems that only /etc would need to be different,
> and if the mount command or the pathname management component understood
> variables, one could mount /etc from something like mndfs://server/etcs/$H

when you find that distributed filesystem drop us a note. Exanet and
other companies have been trying for a good one for a long time.

in any case, the /etc can be on the ramdrive - load a template etc and
sed the differences for the specific machine, based on the IP is got
via bootp.

--
Hong Kong action star
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.