[svlug] system with read-only root filesystem

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Jul 2 11:52:49 PDT 2002

Hi,

Actually, one of the things we would like to support is a cluster of
diskless Linux machines booting and serving all their stuff from a NAS
using NFS or some other distributed file system protocol (not CIFS :-).

While the issues of getting the driver for the root file system loaded
before Linux tries to mount root are well known, and issue I am not fully
up on is sharing of the root file system.

If you have a 1000-node cluster, managing separate root areas for each can
become problematical. It seems that only /etc would need to be different,
and if the mount command or the pathname management component understood
variables, one could mount /etc from something like mndfs://server/etcs/$H
[1]

I guess that the real chicken and egg problem is that /etc is needed to
mount /etc. But perhaps this step could be built into the kernel as well?

Does anyone have any experience with doing some of this?

[1] mndfs = Mega New Distributed File System (TM :-)

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,
sharpe at ethereal.com