[svlug] system with read-only root filesystem

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Tue Jul 2 10:26:40 PDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:41:12AM -0700, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:
> Is there any problem with mounting root readonly?

Well, you won't be able to write to it. ;-)

> I know that Solaris has readonly imply nodev.  So /dev must be a seperate
> filesystem, mounted readwrite.

mount(8) didn't say anything about that.  I've had my root fs mounted
read-only before, mostly for maintenance/triage-type stuff, and the
devices still work.  If it turns out that they don't for you for some
reason, it can always be overridden using "ro,dev,defaults" for example.

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary