[svlug] system with read-only root filesystem

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 1 10:07:44 PDT 2002

on Mon, Jul 01, 2002, Matt Billenstein (matt at vazor.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to setup a system that by default mounts all of its filesystems
> (except for maybe a small ramdisk) read-only so that I can flip the power
> switch off at any time and not have any possiblity of losing data or going
> through an fsck during the next boot.  The machine is going to be an mp3
> player.  Any ideas on setting this up?

http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

Also Knoppix.

You'll lose data if you toggle power, no matter what.  You may be able
to avoid an fsck, but that's a matter of filesystem integrity.  Complex
systems such as databases may be fried in a very bad way (though a
proper ACID database should reduce to the prior case of data loss rather
than integrity loss).

What is the system intended to be used for?

Peace.

   Data corrupts.  Absolute data corrupts absolutely.
    -- Ed Self's corollary of Atkinson's Law.