[svlug] system with read-only root filesystem

Jay Link jlink at ilbbs.com
Mon Jul 1 05:28:10 PDT 2002

> I'd like to setup a system that by default mounts all of its filesystems
> (except for maybe a small ramdisk) read-only so that I can flip the power
> switch off at any time and not have any possiblity of losing data or going
> through an fsck during the next boot.  The machine is going to be an mp3
> player.  Any ideas on setting this up?

Aside from using a journaling filesystem, or ext3, can you simply find the
point in start-up at which your drive is mounted r/w, and edit that?

For example, in my system (which started out as Slackware), the primary
drive is first mounted "read-only" as specified in /etc/lilo.conf (yeah, I
don't use grub).

This is what happens, then, in /etc/rc.d/rc.S :

 echo "Remounting root device with read-write enabled."
 /sbin/mount -w -n -o remount /

So, all I would do is delete that line. Could you do something similar
with your system?

-Jay