[svlug] question re partitioning system

Rafael raffi at ark.linwin.com
Mon Jan 28 11:27:01 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:19:40AM -0800, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> Rafael,
>
> Thank you for such complete info.
>
> Are you suggesting that I choose ext2 over ext3?

No, it's better to use ext3 in most cases unless there is some performance
issue which I'm not clear about.

> What are the differences between GRUB and LILO? Are there advantages of
> one over the other?

The same functions, except that Grub, in my experience, is more flexible.
If you misconfigured something you can fix it at it's prompt, you can
load whatever kernel that's not listed on the menu etc. I'm still learning
about it. As always, read manual pages, HOW-TOs, or FAQs.

> I should be able to use the upgrade option as opposed to new installation?

I strongly suggest to install from scratch since you need to repartition
anyway. Use single partition, as suggested elsewhere, only if you want
your "login" to look like:

c:

;-)

--