[svlug] Fixes for anti-aliasing and for G400/framebuffer -was- Ivan with...

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Sat Jan 26 21:55:02 PST 2002

To: svlug at svlug.org
Subject: Fixes for anti-aliasing and for G400/framebuffer -was- Ivan with...

from aludal at softhome.net on Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 04:51:33PM -0800

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 04:51:33PM -0800, Al Udal wrote:
>Subject: Attn: Ivan with Radeon 8500 -- XFree86 4.2 is out!
>Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 00:07:40 -0800
>From: Al Udal <aludal at softhome.net>
>To: svlug at svlug.org
>
>....and there's accelerated FB 2D support for 8500 in there.
>
>Will be tinkering with it myself shortly, to boost my RHL 7.2+redhatted
>XFree86 4.1+MatroxG400 Max'ed system with quite poor performance at
>resolutions about 1800x1440 or more (no good AA for Cyrillics,
>Japanese/Chinese/Korean, no good xfs/truetype rendering at all). Someone wish
>me luck in assembling RHL7.2-style rpms for it. (or some good advice, maybe?)

This reminds me of two articles I saw recently.  I don't know
if they are useful in regard to the problems you mention, or
to anyone else, but just in case...  Both are described in
terms of the SuSE 7.3 distro, so file locations and other
details might be different for Redhat, etc.  Note that the
terminal '/' on the URLs is required.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tips/3878/3/

This tells how to turn on antialiasing, which might be
switched off by default because it could infringe on an Apple
patent.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tips/3878/2/

This is about the Matrox G-400 card not working with the
framebuffer facility, and how to recompile the kernel to
remove the latter.