[svlug] dd'ing a live fs

Al Udal aludal at softhome.net
Sat Jan 26 16:45:02 PST 2002

> I can see dding an live ext2 filesystem working, by sheer luck, and dding an
> live ext3 filesystem possibly causing problems like what you describe, hence
> me making  sure that the  dd wasn't done  while the source  filesystems were
> mounted (i.e. you shouldn't do the dd with the system running from the drive
> you are trying to dd)

        Guilty.

        I was doing my dd's by booting into single user mode.

        I just finished a dd after booting using a CD and the dd worked
perfectly with a ext3 filesystem.

        Thanks again.

        J.

Oh yeah. I wrote a whole mini-HOWTO a year ago on that. Should be somewhere
in the annales of SVLUG. Though it was for ext2, I still think it's
applicable while in init 1. Stay in single user mode and copy whatever's your
wish wherever you desire.

Let me tell you how it will be...
(No, wrong, it's not me, it's the Beatles....)
'Let me tell you how it will be,
There's one for you nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the Taxman, oh yeah I'm the Taxman.

AU
<<<<>>>>Illegalize DMCA! Legalize you-know-what!<<<<>>>>
<<<<>>>>Will code for food, beer, vobla, cigarettes, vodka and caviar<<<<>>>>