[svlug] ext3 and dd disk cloning

Karl F. Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Jan 26 13:39:02 PST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> 	It appears you can't "clone" a disk in ext3 because the journal has
> a unique identifier and the kernel will not allow you to mount a dd'd
> disk. I might have to create the partitions, create the filesystem and
> then tar or cpio the files over.

	You are correct. The dd disk cloning is not going to work with the
new XFS file system. You need to make the new file system which will have
a new address given it by the kernel, and then you can mount it and I have
used cp -a with entire huge directories like /usr/ with sucess.

Read http://linux.lexilog.org.uk/fs.html which is a very clear explanation
of this subject.

--
Yours Truly,