[svlug] ext3 and dd disk cloning

Justin F. Knotzke shampoo at cam.org
Fri Jan 25 08:58:01 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 08:50:28AM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Mmmh, I'm not convinced.
> I don't  think the kernel  knows that you have  duplicated the disk  and are
> trying to mount it on another machine.
> (it'd have to create a hash per machine, just like XP)

	http://linux.lexilog.org.uk/fs.html

	Not sure if that's the case but I do know that when I do clone a
drive using dd and I put the cloned drive into another machine the
kernel boots and just as it attempts to mount the drive, I get a login
prompt and it will not allow me to login. There are no errors. This has
happened twice. I can boot the machine using the original drive and
mount the cloned drive and all the data appears to be there but I cannot
boot with that cloned drive.

> If this were really the case however, you could remove the journal with:
> tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/part
> which effectively turns your ext3 partition into an ext2 one.

	Ok, I will try that after the clone.

	Thanks Marc.

	Justin.

--