[svlug] ext3 and dd disk cloning

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Fri Jan 25 08:51:01 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 11:28:40AM -0500, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
> 	It appears you can't "clone" a disk in ext3 because the journal has
> a unique identifier and the kernel will not allow you to mount a dd'd
> disk. I might have to create the partitions, create the filesystem and
> then tar or cpio the files over.

Mmmh, I'm not convinced.
I don't  think the kernel  knows that you have  duplicated the disk  and are
trying to mount it on another machine.
(it'd have to create a hash per machine, just like XP)

If this were really the case however, you could remove the journal with:
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/part
which effectively turns your ext3 partition into an ext2 one.

Marc