[svlug] A followup on UnZipping in Linux.

Ron theotiwii at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 22 12:28:02 PST 2002

I have a followup question on "unzipping" in Linux.

I initially attempted to unzip the foo.zip file with "mc", it created
the file structure but moved the files out of the archive with zero
size, BOTH as a user and as ROOT (and no error or warning message).

Using the command line to unzip (as ROOT) I received a series of
"checkdir error: cannot create / unable to process" messages - and
failure. (I mention this only because a number of people posted me
privately suggesting the ROOT user would have free reign at unzipping
the file).

My question today is:

     Who was responsible for the problem to unzip?

Quite frankly, the zip file unzips for me without a problem on a Windows
machine, I'm not sure what to say to the author...

     A. Learn to zip...
     B. Don't send zip files to Linux users,
        they may not have memorized the manual...
     C. Unzip in Linux is broken...
     D. Unzip in Linux is user malicious,
        good luck if the user isn't perfect...

Any advise?

Thank you for those who responded with assistance and those who might
help me understand how to respond to the zip file author (or the author
of UnZip, for that matter).

-Ron

PS: I stand on the ground that if unzip reports the directory structure
to mc's VFS list then it should reciprocate by allowing mc to manipulate
the files. Any _secret contract_ the original author had with the
archive should not enforce itself transparently, ESPECIALLY stripping
the files of content on their way out of the archive. That's WAY weird,
and that's the behavior I was dealing with.

The point is not the level of integration between mc and unzip, just
that their relationship demonstrates the _secret contract_ aspect the
unsuspecting user is assailed by.