[svlug] strange Mandrake 8.1 install problem - "Unable to handle kernel paging requ" on (ANY) boot

Alan Denney yosemite at programmer.net
Mon Jan 21 23:26:02 PST 2002

I ran into this problem at the December (?) installfest using copied
Mandrake 8.1 disks, have reinstalled, and now also get it using
the retail-box version...

Installing 8.1 on a Compaq Armada 1750...  all seems to work
OK (auto-detect on the video was wrong, but I forced a working
configuration)...  then on first boot, I get (very early in the process)
a huge scrolling dump of hex addresses, e.g.

[<c01b01f8>] [<c01b01fb>] [<c01b01f8>] [<c01b01f8>] [<c011be27>] [<c011be27>]

which I assume is a call trace.  It goes on for a while.

if left to run for several minutes, I eventually get

[<c020c3fd>] [<c01b665a>] [<c011ffff>] <1>Unable to handle kernel paging requ

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know how to stop the boot
early enough to even capture the kernel oops details, if
it's logged anywhere in time.

I've  tested the memory just beforehand with memtest86.

This happens even with floopy boot or single-user boot
(or failsafe), so it seems to be unrelated to video...

Can anybody point me to a resource for how to research
this error?

thanks for any help!

Alan