[svlug] fsck

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Mon Jan 21 16:48:01 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 06:18:40PM -0800, hvrietsc at yahoo.com wrote:
> but redhat does do automatic fsck at start up but there are
> certain cases in which it will drop into manual mode, unfortunately.

This is not Red Hat, it's e2fsck -p
Even my first slackware 7-8y ago did that :-)

My point is that e2fsck -p will only fix very simple problems, not ones that
require deleting an  inode or something, and  then it gives up,  which for a
headless server with no serial console is kind of unacceptable.
e2fsck -y however will repair whatever needs to be repaired and move on.

If  seen many  corruption problems,  and  fixed them. I've  lost files,  and
worse, but I've  always recovered my FS. The point however  is that there is
not a single time  where e2fsck -y lost something that  I would have somehow
recovered by hand with debugfs.
It's however a good thing to have a  log of the output so that you know what
was deleted  or lost  if anything (Red  Hat does this,  except for  the root
filesystem)

> anyway old news: get ext3 and all your problem ae solved...

Yes and no. It does solve the users unplugging machines without warning, it
just copes with it better.

Marc