[svlug] fsck

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 19 20:16:02 PST 2002

on Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 09:02:47PM -0500, Justin F. Knotzke (shampoo at cam.org) wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 04:57:21PM -0800, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > Let me guess, you are using Red Hat right?
> > (if not, the same comment applies anyway)
>
> Actually it's a Debian box.
>
> The boxen in question reside in network studios: ABC, FOX, CBS, etc.
> In there you have racks and racks of frames etc. The "users" in question
> are mostly operators who are not at all computer savy. For them,
> anything that is plugged in can be unplugged and often is. They don't
> much care.

I'd look at a policy/procedure change that provides an incentive to
care.  Random power disconnects in a server setting are more than a
simple annoyance.  It's gross negligence.  If you can't effect the
change directly yourself, putting appropriate warranty disclaimers or
service charges in your contract might be appropriate.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org