[svlug] fsck

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Sat Jan 19 16:58:01 PST 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 06:30:04AM -0500, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> 	I have a annoying VP of Product who is complaining that when users
> rip the cord out of the Linux box that it sometimes requires them to
> hook up a screen and keyboard so they can go and perform a manual fsck
> (with tech support).

Let me guess, you are using Red Hat right?
(if not, the same comment applies anyway)

I'm amazed at  all these distributions that claim to  be server distribs and
when configured in server setup, do not  even set fsck to automatic mode (or
at least ask you if they can do that)

On debian:
merlin at gandalf:~$ cat /etc/default/rcS
#
#       Defaults for the boot scripts in /etc/rcS.d
#

# Time files in /tmp are kept in days.
TMPTIME=30
# Set to yes if you want sulogin to be spawned on bootup
SULOGIN=no
# Set to no if you want to be able to login over telnet/rlogin
# before system startup is complete (as soon as inetd is started)
DELAYLOGIN=yes
# Set UTC to yes or no
UTC=yes
# Set VERBOSE to "no" if you would like a more quiet bootup.
VERBOSE=yes
# Set EDITMOTD to "no" if you don't want /etc/motd to be editted automatically
EDITMOTD=yes
# Set FSCKFIX to "yes" if you want to add "-y" to the fsck at startup.
FSCKFIX=yes

It's really not that hard, I  don't understand why other distributions don't
seem to offer this  (obviously, you can modify the init  scripts, but if you
get there,  it doesn't matter what  distribution you use, you  could even be
using slackware at that point)

Marc