[svlug] About mc (and other linux file managers)

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Sat Jan 19 14:06:02 PST 2002

J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> wrote:

> > I'm trying to figure out why "dired" isn't in the running here.

> It kinda is and mostly isn't.  The main reason its not is that I'm
> not in XEmacs when I have an interest in file management, I'm in a
> bash shell and I've little/no interest in running gnuclient at that
> point just to bring up an XEmacs for a few seconds.

And you don't want to bend your principles and run GNU
emacs? Either 'emacs -nw .' or 'emacs-nox .' would probably
be my first thought (adding a dot to the command line
will kick you straight into dired, editing the current
directory).

It's one of the advantages of GNU emacs over XEmacs: you can
run it over a dialup shell.

I know the usual complaint is the start-up time, but these
days it just doesn't seem that long to me.

Another thing I was thinking about is the stand-alone
version of dired, but the situation there is a little more
complicated than I remembered, according to this Linux
Gazette article:

  http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue14/dired.html

There are evidentally *two* stand-alone dired clones, and
they lack the customizability of a real emacs dired.

Still, compatibility with the default emacs keystrokes
would be an argument in their favor...