[svlug] About mc (and other linux file managers)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Jan 19 13:41:01 PST 2002

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:10:57 -0800
Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
> J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out why "dired" isn't in the running here.

It kinda is and mostly isn't.  The main reason its not is that I'm
not in XEmacs when I have an interest in file management, I'm in a
bash shell and I've little/no interest in running gnuclient at that
point just to bring up an XEmacs for a few seconds.

> I would think it does everything that you're asking for here,
> though of course it also does a bunch of things you're saying you
> don't care about it... (I'm not sure why you don't, but that's up
> to you.)

Aye, it does it all, it just does them all inside of XEmacs and I'm
not in XEmacs when I want to do those things.

> One of the reasons I use dired of course, is that I also use
> emacs, and the two are integrated very well (like, for example, if
> I'm editing a file, and go change the name of the file in dired,
> emacs knows about it and the open buffer gets associated with the
> new name).

Yup, done that.  (XEMacs user here)

>> The emphasis is on speed and simplicity.  One of the things I
>> really miss is an equivalent to 4DOS/4OS2's "select" command.

> Describe how it works and I'll write an emacs extension for you
> that does it.

See prior post with details.

Problem: I don't want to do it from inside (X)Emacs.

--
J C Lawrence