[svlug] fsck

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 19 13:23:02 PST 2002

on Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 06:30:04AM -0500, Justin F. Knotzke (shampoo at cam.org) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a annoying VP of Product who is complaining that when users rip
> the cord out of the Linux box that it sometimes requires them to hook
> up a screen and keyboard so they can go and perform a manual fsck
> (with tech support).

What kind of box?  What kind of product?  What kind of users?  What
stateful information is on the system?

> He argues that users will accidentally pull out the cord to the
> machine and the machine should simply fix itself.

    - Journaling filesystem (ext3fs or reiserfs).
    - Synchronously mounted filesystems.
    - Read-only filesystems (or media).
    - Remote, network-mounted filesystems.
    - Flash-based filesystems (e.g.:  as in handheld devices).

> Most of the time it does of course but there are instances when it
> doesn't and requires user intervention.
>
> Assuming the user will pull out the power cord from time to time, is
> there a way to setup Linux so that it never has to perform a manual
> fsck?

In all circumstances, no.  In most, likely.  Cost/benefit analysis is
suggested.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org