[svlug] About mc

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jan 18 23:59:02 PST 2002

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:07:06 -0800
Erik Steffl <steffl at bigfoot.com> wrote:

> I just checked LIST and it seems quite ugly, giving me the
> straight jacket feel (no command line, didn't even find how to
> configure it, copy expects me to type in the path? alt-tab doesn't
> work, in-program documentation miserable (one help screen)). Why
> would you want anything like that? (honest question, not really
> comparing it to mc)

Loosely what I want is single pane, single directory view with the
ability to interactively (in the move the cursor about and hit
command keys sense) copy, move, rename, etc files with a very fast
large file viewer that doesn't insist on loading them into memory.
If the command keys are letter based (c=copy, d=delete, m-move,
r=rename, etc I'm fine and configurability is not needed.  I don't
want to launch editors, run scripts, or handle spiffy regxes -- just
text mode point, select, and shoot.  Not particularly interested in
an internal command line.  Don't want help.  Copy destination can be
typed in, or can be walked to and then copy invoked.  Can't think of
any reason I'd be interested in ALT-TAB.

The emphasis is on speed and simplicity.  One of the things I really
miss is an equivalent to 4DOS/4OS2's "select" command.

--
J C Lawrence