[svlug] About mc

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Fri Jan 18 18:42:03 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 04:21:56PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:59:35 -0800
> Erik Steffl <steffl at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > IMO mc (text version) is the best file manager ever.
>
> Inserts standard grumble about horrible keybindings and lack of key
> binding configurability.  I'd really go for something equivalent to
> Vern Buerg's LIST.

We already went through this once. This is entirely incorrect, all the keys
are reconfigurable, and while I haven't looked at LIST, I already know that
it can't do the most useful functions that mc has
(VFS, undelete fs, etc)

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 05:14:04PM -0800, William R Ward wrote:
> Erik Steffl <steffl at bigfoot.com> writes:
> >   IMO mc (text version) is the best file manager ever. Nautilus is good
> > to show off when ms user is around but mc has all the required
> > functionality, it's fast, easy to use etc... (that's, of course, IMO, I
> > have tried quite a few filemanagers but not all of them and my
> > requirements might be different from those of other people).
>
> There's a TEXT VERSION??  Why didn't anyone mention that earlier?

Sorry, I thought you knew :-)
Yes, I've been using mc since version 1.x, back in 94 or so, and of course
everything was text, and still is now.
While I use mc  in text all day long, I've never  used the graphical version
more than 2 minutes.

Marc