[svlug] About mc

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Fri Jan 18 15:56:02 PST 2002

William R Ward wrote:

> Ron writes:
> >> Well, I'll have to learn how to use it for this presentation anyway,
> >> and maybe I'll agree.  I'm skeptical but I will give it a chance...
> >
> >Skeptical? If that's the signature of your ability to intuit the value
> >of software, then I suggest, for your own education, you be skeptical of
> >everything you've looked at.
> >
> >Pardon me, but it appears you degrade a product above your capabilities.
>
> Well, I'm basing my "degrading" on my experience with other Unix file
> managers such as the one that came with Sun's OpenWindows and SGI's
> IRIX.  I've never found such tools to be particularly useful.  But as
> Marc points out MC appears to have extra capabilities that I was not
> aware of, and so it's worth taking a look.  Whether it'll be good
> enough to make me change my habits is another story though.

  IMO mc (text version) is the best file manager ever. Nautilus is good
to show off when ms user is around but mc has all the required
functionality, it's fast, easy to use etc... (that's, of course, IMO, I
have tried quite a few filemanagers but not all of them and my
requirements might be different from those of other people).

	erik