[svlug] secondary dns

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jan 18 13:58:02 PST 2002

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:43:01 -0800
David E Weekly <david at weekly.org> wrote:

> Fine - I give up. It's an "open system", is not proprietary and is
> based off of freely-available source codes. It is a not-for-profit
> service that will not ever become a commercial service.

Ahem.

More succinct while retaining accuracy:

  Non-profit free DynDNS and DNS hosting service based on MySQL and
  DJB's tinyDNS.

> Better?

<shrug>

Many on this list have seen too many fields dismembered by having
their language vernacularised into uselessness, so we're a bit
twitchy.  Words have precise meanings and work better if used
correctly.

The basic problem with such services is that they're largely solving
a non-problem.  5 years ago DNS hosting was a problem.  With the
minor exception that DynDS is useful in limited cases (but should be
taken out back and gut shot with malice aforethought for grevious
network abuse and pistol whipped at every other possible
opportunity) I don't see that DNS hosting is a real problem any
more.  Its too cheap, too easy, and too ubiquitous.

--
J C Lawrence