[svlug] Debugging memory problems

Rafael raffi at ark.linwin.com
Thu Jan 17 23:42:03 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 10:48:06AM -0800, David Masten wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 22:14, Rafael wrote:
>
> > Why wait for Itanium? 64 bit systems are here already. If it's for
> > business use I don't see any reason not to get a decent system like
> > http://www.linux64.com or just install 64 bit linux on sparc system to
> > solve your problem.
> >

> The application software is built (and vendor supported) on Redhat Linux
> 7.x on x86 or Itanium, or Sun Solaris 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 in either 32 or 64
> bits. Not much choice. Besides our use of Linux is to get serious cost
> reductions compared to Sun. Our linux server farm cost 1/10 as much as
> an equivalent power Sun server farm. So my wait for Itanium is actually
> a wait for Intel 64-bit processors to be as cheap as Pentium IIIs.
>
> Dave

I'm not familiar with your environment so I can't comment on that.
However, I have very hard time to understand (mostly) startup companies of
the 1990's that have no problems getting BMWs for their management or top
people, all kinds of office perks, and bonusses, but they skimp on
computer and network equipment. Instead of buying decent US made equipment
from Sun, SGI, HP, etc. (which would bring the prices down) they invest in
crappy PeeCees which in some way supports the evil empire [1] with it's
crappy OS and other software. All that contributes to legal terror against
innovators like http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products.php.

[1] which never invented anything!

So SGI was too expensive huh? Keep buying cheap PCs, killing good hard
work of many engineers who end up selling their IP to software pimps.

"Microsoft isn't in the PC hardware business, and it's unlikely that the
patents will change its technical strategy. But they do add significantly
to its bargaining position with hardware vendors [2], giving Redmond
important new leverage. Rival APIs, principally OpenGL, are kept alive
through the support of graphics hardware vendors.  And for a hardware
partner, avoiding a lawsuit, or gaining a contract to work on future
versions of Xbox, may well outweigh the advantages from continuing to
support OpenGL."

[2] forcing hardware vendors to change silicon to fix years old MS
software screwups!

So tell me, annoyed reader, what has Microsoft invented? Nothing. Don't
like it? Want more evidence?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/1249.html

By the way, I attended Computer History Museum lecture "The Birth of the
Semiconductor Industry in Silicon Valley" by Mr. Charlie Sporck, retired
CEO from National Semiconductor, this week. He let attendees browse the
notebooks of Noyce, Hoerni, and other inventors who started silicon
revolution, foundation for our jobs and easier life.

Creating silicon circuits, that's invention, improving the technology is
innovation. Creating OS like Unix that's invention, copying OS
functionality from others and improving on it, that's innovation. MS has
not done much in either.

-- Rafael