[svlug] About mc

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Thu Jan 17 16:08:02 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:10:34PM -0800, William R Ward wrote:
> > I recommend the mc editor (mc -e) as the default editor
> > for beginners.  It's quite powerful (for a single-file
> > editor) and very easy to learn.  mc as a file manager is
> > also very useful, like XTREE for MSDOS, making it easier
> > to move around the directory structure, view files, etc.
> > After teaching ls, cd, cp, mv, rm, cat, show them mc.
>
> Good suggestion.  I've eschewed mc for my own use because I am already
> familiar with more sophisticated tools and have no need for a file
> manager.  But I should probably familiarize myself with it, as the
> target audience for this talk is going to need that sort of thing.

You may find out that it's useful to  you too. Mc is *much* more than a file
manager. I know  the command  line inside and  out, and use  mc in  at least
1/3rd of my Eterms :-)

Nothing beats browsing the content of a tar file inside a .src.rpm which is
on a remote ftp server.
Being able to select  random files and dirs, and paste  that on your command
line inside mc also totally rules.
The mass renames with regular expressions, or the external panelize, or the
undelete filesystem are just a few of the reaons why mc is a great tool for
seasonned sysadmins.

Marc