[svlug] edtiting mp3 files in place

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Thu Jan 17 15:10:01 PST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 02:27:08PM -0500, Richard Holbert wrote:
> I've had pretty good luck using broadcast 2000 to edit mp3 files.  One
> downside is that you have to render the edited mp3 files back into wave files
> for the changes to take affect and then you have to recompress them with lame
> or another compression utility.

This was exactly what I was trying to avoid :-)
(hence the "in place" in the subject)

I typically  deal with 2-3H long  essential mixes (150-300MB files)  and not
only decoding  and recoding  takes a while,  even on a  fast machine,  but I
really want to avoid the quality loss due to the decoding/recoding.

Turns out that mpgedit
http://ip120.gte16.rb1.bel.nwlink.com/~number6/mpgedit/
is exactly what I needed (the interface and a small learning curve, but you
can also use it entirely from the command line, which can come in very handy
in some cases)

The mp3cutter.exe that Erik Steffl mentionned  probably has a nice GUI, but
it crashes  the current wine  (at least the  version that's in  debian right
now)

Thanks Erik,
Marc