[svlug] What constitutes "Linux Basics"?

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Thu Jan 17 12:04:02 PST 2002

Margaret Wendall writes:
>William R Ward wrote:
>> I may have an opportunity to give a one-hour talk on Linux Basics, and
>> I've got some good ideas for what to include, but I'd like to get some
>> input from folks on what they think is important.  If you could answer
>> one or more of these questions, it would be helpful to me in compiling
>> this presentation.  I'm planning on basing it on Red Hat, since that
>> seems to be the most popular and the easiest for newbies to handle,
>> though I prefer Debian personally.
>
>I think that one of the hardest concepts a newbie has to learn is how
>to partition a hard drive (totally foreign to both windoze and Mac).
>All the other replies on this topic seem to come *after* the
>installation is complete, but the installation is one of the easiest
>things to botch up.

Yes, I agree that it's a tricky concept, and one that will be
important to understand in order to do the installation properly
(though for a workstation installation, it is often fine to just have
one partition).  But as was pointed out earlier they're more likely to
either get their system with Linux already installed or to have an
expert friend, colleague, etc. do the installation.  I want to focus
on *using* the system.  For installation I would refer them to the
InstallFests.  Installation would easily eat up the entire hour anyway.

--Bill.