[svlug] What constitutes "Linux Basics"?

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Jan 16 18:18:02 PST 2002

Bill Schoolcraft writes:
>At 16 Jan 2002 it looks like William R Ward composed:
>

>> I may have an opportunity to give a one-hour talk on Linux Basics, and
>> I've got some good ideas for what to include, but I'd like to get some
>> input from folks on what they think is important.
>
>Hmm, since everything in a Linux system is regarded as a "file",
>files should be a good start. The whole filesystem concept compared
>to C:\ confused me at first.
>
>Prepare verbal comparisons with maybe / and C:\ that's what I do and
>have great results.

Good point, though with modern advances in Windows, it's actually more
Unixlike in this regard.  The Windows Explorer interface treats
everything as a "file" including the C:, D:, etc. drives.  Someone who
grew up on MSDOS and Windows 3 might get that, but if they started off
with Win95 I think that would be moot.  Interesting.

>When it comes to permissions at the file level versus the OS level
>(windows) I was just telling a windows person that once a burglar
>breaks into the front door of a windows (house) everything in the
>house is open to theft.
>
>In a Unix (house) getting in the front door would get you only that,
>not a drawer, refrigerator, water facet, light switch could be
>turned on for they all have ownership permissions.
>
>chmod 400 /dev/refrigerator equals a great diet !!!

That's true as long as they don't break into the root account.  As
root, it's rather similar to the Windows experience as far as file
permissions go.  Lots of Linux newbies just use the root account.  The
idea of limiting yourself by creating a user-level account seems
alien.  Why would I want to put a lock on my own refrigerator? they'll
ask.

--Bill.