[svlug] Linux to serve as a boradband gateway

Craig Oda craigoda at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 16:58:02 PST 2002

Henry,
are you sure that you're getting through to any sites at all?  Maybe IE
on the Windows boxes is using cached data and you can't access any
outside sites through your Linux gateway.

Try to ping the sites from each of your Windows machines.

If you can ping, turn off all filtering as a test.  Flush all the
chains in iptables.
  /sbin/ipchains -F input
  /sbin/ipchains -F output
  /sbin/ipchains -F forward
 make sure ipforwarding is set in your kernel /proc/sys/net/ip_forward
should be set to 1.  Then set the default policies to accept.  If your
ipforwarding networking is working, then add the filters in to make
your network secure.

If you're still have problems, send your iptables -L and iptables -t
nat -L output

-- Craig