[svlug] Debugging memory problems

Sanatan Rai sanat at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 15 17:11:01 PST 2002

Hi,
	I have a simulation that runs quite well on Sun machines running
Solaris (various).  However it seg-faults while reading some data files on
x86. I had the same problem with Win2000 and g++ and Linux (SULinux/RH7.x)
+ g++, so it seems to me that the problem has something to do with the
architecture. I am at a loss as to how to find the exact problem.

	I have tried libsafe, and it hasn't come up with anything. My own
guess is that my routines hog too much memory, but as it doesn't seem to
be a problem on the Suns, and I would like confirmation before I change
anything, I am loath to tinker with them just yet.

	I get clean compiles on all systems, except for some warnings
about non-ANSI features when pedantic mode is on.

	Any suggestions?

	Thanks!

--Sanatan
Sanatan Rai,                      | E.-mail: sanat at stanford.edu
Dept. of Management Sc. & Engg.   | Home: 100 N. Whisman Road 4316,
Stanford University,              |       Mountain View, Ca 94043.
Stanford, Ca 94305.               | 'phone: (650) 964 0220 (R)
EMail: sanat at stanford.edu                   (650) 736 2109 (O)