[svlug] Useful Questions

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Jan 14 09:56:02 PST 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:11:33 -0600 (CST)
Tony Steidler-Dennison <tony at steidler.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for specific questions that might be asked in an
> interview to hire a Linux admin.

I generally don't ask specific questions, I ask scenarios.  Things
on the order of:

  If you were presented with a system/network that was behaving like
  >this< how would you resolve it?

About the closest I get to specific questions are things like:

    You have the following service/architecture need to provide to
    a situation..  What could you do, and why and why not?

I'm interested in problem solving skills and processes, not rote
facts or answers to trick questions.  My expectation is that most
people will not be able to answer many questions (especially the
people I hire), but that they will exhibit good problem solving and
analytical skills in the process of working on the possible answers
to the questions.

Note: This area was discussed on this list a few months back.  You
might want to check the archives.

--
J C Lawrence