[svlug] Useful Questions

Tony Steidler-Dennison tony at steidler.com
Mon Jan 14 09:17:02 PST 2002

Hey all,

This is the first post to this group. I've enjoyed picking through
the list traffic daily. While I don't necessarily read every message, I do
archive everything for potential future use. Thanks for all the great
information and the sharp focus.

Under normal circumstances, this might not be something I'd post to the
entire list. However, in thinking hard about it, I decided that the topic
could be of use to everyone. I hope you'll indulge me gracefully.

I'm currently in the position of looking for work, and am focusing my
efforts in the Linux-related IT realm. Though my previous two positions
were both IT-related, this will be the first time I'll actually have to
interview for such a position. It's a bit daunting, admittedly. Here's
where I need some assistance:

I'm looking for specific questions that might be asked in an interview to
hire a Linux admin. If you're in a position to hire Linux/Unix staff, I'd
be greatly interested in the three top questions you'd ask of an
interviewee. Really, this isn't limited to those with hiring authority.
I'm interested, as well, in what the oldtimers in networking, etc, might
be looking for in a new co-worker.

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be great and very
useful responses.

Tony Steidler-Dennison