[svlug] linux flavor opinions

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Sun Jan 13 14:53:02 PST 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:52:23PM -0800, Jeffrey Siegal wrote:
> Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Red Hat doesn't have a minimum install. What they call minimum install is
> > 150MB and includes X and a lot of crap last I checked.
>
> They don't have a "minimum" install as a one-click option in the
> installer.  The options are: workstation, laptop, server, and
> everything.  Server installs don't include X (at least not all of it), I
> think, but the others do.

I remember  choosing the server install  and trying to weed  out packages at
install time but I  couldn't get under 120MB or so, and that  was in the 6.2
days.
I know that  if your disk is big  enough, you can do the install  and try to
trim it down later, but that doesn't quite  work if you have a 100MB disk to
start with.

> On the other hand, it is pretty easy to remove unnecessary packages and
> bring a workstation or server install down quite a bit.  You'll never
> get down to 20MB, though -- Red Hat's glibc package alone is 18MB and
> the kernel is 25MB.  But you can probably get under 100MB, or close to
> that in any case.

I remember the days when my linux install fit in 70MB, and that included X,
basic utilies, a compiled kernel source tree and compiler :-)
(incidently, I was using slackware back then because red hat did not exist
yet :-D)

Marc