[svlug] linux flavor opinions

Jeffrey Siegal jbs at quiotix.com
Sun Jan 13 13:53:02 PST 2002

Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Red Hat doesn't have a minimum install. What they call minimum install is
> 150MB and includes X and a lot of crap last I checked.

They don't have a "minimum" install as a one-click option in the
installer.  The options are: workstation, laptop, server, and
everything.  Server installs don't include X (at least not all of it), I
think, but the others do.

On the other hand, it is pretty easy to remove unnecessary packages and
bring a workstation or server install down quite a bit.  You'll never
get down to 20MB, though -- Red Hat's glibc package alone is 18MB and
the kernel is 25MB.  But you can probably get under 100MB, or close to
that in any case.