[svlug] I think I killed my X Server...

Todd G. Gardner nicoli at bigfoot.com
Sat Jan 12 02:13:02 PST 2002

Hello Everyone,

Well I must not have killed anything because the system still works as
expected when I log in as root but I messed up something...

I am running rh72.  This systems boots directly into KDE.  If I log in
as anything but root the errors occur as shown below.  If I log in as
root everything seems to work.

[tnt at localhost tnt]$ emacs
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
connections from your machine.

[tnt at localhost tnt]$ xhost +
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xhost:  unable to open display ":0.0"
[tnt at localhost tnt]$

Do you have any idea what I may have done to my system to cause this?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Todd