[svlug] Charged for "Breaking into his own property."

Rafael raffi at ark.linwin.com
Sat Jan 12 00:54:01 PST 2002

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 04:26:49PM -0800, Ira Weiny wrote:
> Well there is nothing like paying for a product and having to break into it to
> use it!
>
> http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173567.html

Yes there was so much fuss about Dimitry's case but Jon Johansen is facing
much more serious situation.

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-01-11-013-20-NW-LL

I don't understand how can any "law organization" wait until somebody
turns 18 (legal age) and then indict that person of "crimes" they
alegedly commited as children?

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/306

"In January, 2000, police entered Johansen's home and seized two personal
computers, a mobile phone, and several computer disks. Johansen was taken
to a police station and questioned for nearly seven hours and released."

... seized two personal computers, a mobile phone ...
What has phone to do with DeCSS?

When will this "Hollywood elite" stop killing innovation like
http://www.replaytv.com/partners_products/techspecs.htm with their
lawsuits? They (hollywood) produce very little of value lately which I
personaly ignore as a protest against their taliban behaviour across the
international borders.

It's funny, I received junk mail for DVDs yesterday. They will get my
opinion (stop screwing up with computer technology), and the postage is on
them.

If they cannot trust traditional family values like "don't steal", no
other measures will solve the problem of their inferior technology. I wish
they would spare us from bandits from dot.cn and such that break into our
systems or send us spam.

It's nobody's business what one person does with legaly purchased products
including DVDs. We should be allowed to drill new holes in DVD, paint new
pictures on it, inspect it under microscope, burn it in microwaves or with
1kW lasers, use them as fins on rockets to launch windoze into the sky,
or digitaly remaster in any way we damn please for our entertainment.

If they have problems let them run around fleamarkets etc. to catch those
who sell illegal copies made by big companies in China or other places in
Asia.

I also wonder where are the Berkeley nuts who find time to protest against
eliminating domestic and foreign terrorists or freeing Afghanis from
tyranical regime but ignore our basic human rights to explore technology
which is not harming anybody?

--
Rafael