[svlug] iptables problem with Red Hat 7.2

Tim Pepper tpepper at vato.org
Fri Jan 11 10:20:02 PST 2002

I'm running 2.4.17 on a RedHat 7.1 machine doing forwarding with iptables and
haven't seen any problems like that.

Are there any cron jobs anywhere that might be doing it?  Are your
chains being set via /etc/sysconfig/iptables or some other mechanism?
You might try some recursive grepping for ip_forward and try to see what
file might be twiddling that bit.  Or set the proc entry non-writeable
and see if you maybe get any indication of a cron job failing.

I can't think of a generic/easy way to catch a particular file being
opened by a random app.  Maybe somebody here could recommend one.
Although it's probably echo so maybe you could modify echo to raise a
flag if it's doing an open on ip_forward.  Assuming it's not something
in the kernel...

Tim