[svlug] Re: ATI Radeon 8500....

Alexander Udalov aludal at softhome.net
Thu Jan 10 01:00:01 PST 2002

Hi Ivan:

Quick answer: as a family, Ati Radeon is supported by XFree86 4.1.0. Or so
the claims are. It may not extend to 8500 yet though, this generic "radeon"
driver, so you may want to look for cvs releases of X.

Xig supports Radeon 8500 completely, or it's their claim, I never had a
chance to use commercial and expensive and proprietary accelerated X
package.

On a longer trek, you may want to look at your 8500 card closely: there are
chances it's actually LE/LELE/OEM/bulk/white-box/any-other-crap other than
so-called Retail ATi Radeon 8500 which is not only 'Powered by ATi' but also
'Manufactured by ATi'. Bargain/cheap imitations using R. 8500 chip are
usually based on >3.6 ns memory and/or underclocked. These are also known as
having OEM BIOSes with apparently bad/no 'radeon' signature in them.

Well, a site called www.radeon.ru has extensive info on how to turn a frog
OEM cheapo junk into a shining Retail princess of Radeon -- by tweaking
first, then retro-flashing. Mail me, Ivan, if you have any trouble with
Russian comments of those guys.

One more thing -- who needs a 'gamer' card on a Linux machine, I wonder?

Alexander 'Sasha' Udalov