[svlug] maildir capable mail clients...

Jeremy Zawodny Jeremy at Zawodny.com
Wed Jan 9 09:24:01 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:12:11AM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 08:26:11 -0800
> Jeremy Zawodny <Jeremy at Zawodny.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a list (somewhere) of popular mail clients that
> > natively grok maildir.
>
> I'm curious.  What binds you to Maildir?

I recently helped upgrade a mail server for a freenet in Ohio.  We
went from using

  sendmail --> procmail/spamassassin --> mbox

which had several problems, to using

  exim --> procmail/spamassassin --> maildir

which scales better.

Most clients access their mail remotely via POP/IMAP (95%).  But the
helpdesk folks need a good tool they can use to manipulate a mailbox
for a client (remove messages, etc) *without* knowing the client's
password.

So ideally, if they can "sudo -u <client> <some_mua>" and do what they
need to do, that'd be excellent.

But I'd like to offer them choices rather than simply saying "learn
mutt".

And these are folks for whom grep, rm, and whatnot really aren't the
best choice.

Hopefully that sheds more light on thinks.  The users mail spool is in
maildir because that works best.  But every once in a while, someone
other than that user needs to examine with with a relatively friendly
mua of some sort without knowing the user's password (via sudo).

Thanks,

Jeremy
<Jeremy at Zawodny.com>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/